Beginning Jan. 1, 2018, all Washington employers were required to begin providing sick leave to employees as part of Initiative 1433. A few things employers need to be aware of:
- Sick leave must be accrued at a minimum rate of 1 hour for every 40 hours worked.
- Paid sick leave must be at the employee’s regular rate of pay.
- Employees are entitled to draw sick leave after working at the company 90 days, to care for themselves or family members or for any absence that qualifies for leave under the state’s Domestic Violence Leave Act.
- Unused sick leave up to 40 hours can be carried over to the following year.
- Employers can provide more generous policies regarding the accrual and carryover of sick leave.